During the winter months cats can serve you as the perfect example of what to do! A cat will sleep a majority of the day and night when it is too cold to go outside, they hibernate and eat small meals. “How can a cat sleep so much?”…..you might ask! They find a dark space, in a warm spot, and return to the same napping place everyday, day after day. Even when the door is opened, if snow is covering the ground, chances are they will turn up their nose and go back to napping indoors. Most house felines prefer warm paws over cold ones. It’s simple logic, yet it provides a real message to cat lover’s and observers.
But how does napping and hibernating pertain to your business? You ask, “what am I supposed to do, close up shop because it’s cold outside? Am I supposed to nap all day until the warmer weather arrives?”
Well, good luck with that idea…..it’s not feasible for humans to truly behave as your cat, since you have other responsibilities that your cat does not have — such as how to earn a living to afford your cat’s food! However, you can take a page out of your cat’s book and follow their example:
1. Take a nap every day if possible. If stretching out and pulling up the covers isn’t possible for you every day, you can take a quick ‘cat nap’ during the day by closing your eyes for 5-10 minutes, do some deep breathing and allow your mind to take a rest. If you work out of your home, as more and more people are unemployed and seeking out home business opportunities, allow yourself a daily napping time around 2 or 3 pm. Use a relaxation technique such as deep breathing or meditation, or use a CD and headphones; find one that will take you into the Theta state — which is where you will experience deep rest. After you have reached a deep state of rest or theta, you will be naturally energized. You will have filled your energy tank and will be able to be more productive. When you keep running on empty, you are depleting your energy reserves.
2. Hibernate during the really cold days. For a human being hibernation looks like staying indoors and keeping warm when the weather is cold outside. The cat conserves energy by not getting cold. Don’t use your energetic chi on trying to stay warm. Avoid the cold and stay as warm as possible. Again the game is to fill your energy tank and NOT deplete it!!!!!
3. Eat warming foods. During the winter you will naturally want to eat soups, warm foods, and include some spicy foods. Additionally, drinking hot tea will keep your body warmed internally. Ginger Tea is also helpful to warm you up and feels good to your digestion system too. Avoid drinks with ice. Drink lots of room temperature alkaline water.
4. Sloooooowwww down. The winter may not be your time to crawl into a cave and hibernate, however, you need to slow down. There winter weather is the perfect time to re-group, re-energize yourself, re-direct your energies and re-design the direction you are heading. If you never slow down during the winter, you will miss building up the reserves that you need for the Spring, where you will naturally feel more like
getting outdoors and moving ahead with your projects
5. Eliminate having too many irons in the fire. When you are overloaded, you will be ineffective. Simplify. Organize. Focus. Stop the old way of multi-tasking your multi-tasks! In today’s new world energy, this is going to cause you to lose out on receiving the insights that will guide you into the future. Stay awake and aware and you will be more receptive to the multitude of signs that are available to you.
6. Enjoy this time of year and the special energy of the winter months. Follow Mother Nature’s of going within, as an example. If you do this, you will be on track every year.